In November 1955, the Championship Committee of The R&A put forward a recommendation that 'the European Golf Association should be approached with a view to arranging an international match between a British and European side in October or November 1956.' The General Committee gave the idea its blessing at a meeting on December 16 and in May 1956, N.C. Selway, the Chairman of the Championship Committee, advised his colleagues that Wentworth had agreed to host the match over the West Course.
The Great Britain and Ireland team, captained by Gerald Micklem, duly triumphed by a score of 12½ to 2½.
The event was known simply as the match between the British Isles and the Continent of Europe until 1963. In September of that year, The R&A agreed that the match should be played for the St Andrews Trophy.